Download the map of HPV vaccine access and coverage in Canada. [LINK]
HPV vaccine (type and dosage) administered
GARDASIL®9 is administered according to the NACI recommended immunization schedule for HPV vaccines.2
Accessing publicly funded HPV vaccination in school
Children receive the HPV vaccine in school in grades 4 to 6.3
Accessing publicly funded HPV vaccination outside of school
Individuals 9 to 26 years of age3 who did not receive the HPV vaccine in grade school can receive it for free at their local health centre or public health office.2 Primary care providers, physicians, nurse practitioners, community health nurses and public health nurses can administer the vaccine. Prescriptions are technically not required for the HPV vaccine5 unless the individual is purchasing it themselves*.
Accessing HPV vaccination outside of publicly funded programs
Individuals who did not receive the vaccine in grade school and are over the age of 26 can speak with their health care provider or public health nurse about getting it.2 If recommended, the vaccine series can be purchased privately for $510 to $630 (total cost for three doses)**. Some individuals may receive partial or full coverage for the HPV vaccine through their private health insurance plan, although access varies by jurisdiction, insurance provider and individual plans*.
*Prescriptions for the HPV vaccine are often required for private health insurance coverage. Primary care providers, physicians and nurse practitioners can prescribe the HPV vaccine.
**Based on the list price for GARDASIL®9. Prices range due to varied pharmacy costs and injection fees.
- Statistics Canada. Aboriginal Population Profile, 2016 Census. Available from: https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/abpopprof/index.cfm?Lang=E
- Goyette A, Yen GP, Racovitan V, Bhangu P, Kothari S, Franco EL. Evolution of Public Health Human Papillomavirus Immunization Programs in Canada. Curr Oncol 2021; 28(1): 991-1007.
- Government of Northwest Territories. NWT Immunization Schedule. 2022. Available from: https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/sites/hss/files/immunization-schedule-general-public.pdf
- Diamond LM, Clarfield LE, Forte M. Vaccinations against human papillomavirus missed because of COVID-19 may lead to a rise in preventable cervical cancer. CMAJ 2021; 193(37).
- National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities. Outline of the Schedules. Available from: https://www.napra.ca/sites/default/files/documents/Schedules-Outline.pdf