Download the map of HPV vaccine access and coverage in Canada. [LINK]
HPV vaccine (type and dosage) administered
GARDASIL®9 is administered according to the BC recommended immunization schedule for HPV vaccines.
Accessing publicly funded HPV vaccination in school
Children receive the HPV vaccine in school in grade 6.1
Accessing publicly funded HPV vaccination outside of school
Individuals who did not receive the HPV vaccine in grade school can receive it for free, if they start the HPV vaccine series before age 19 and complete it before age 26 (males must be born in 2006 or later). The following groups of individuals can also receive a free HPV vaccine1:
- Individuals 9 to 26 years of age who are HIV positive
- Two-spirit, transgender and non-binary individuals 9 to 26 years of age
- Cisgender males 9 to 26 years of age who have sex with men, are not yet sexually active but are questioning their sexual orientation, or are street-involved
- Cisgender males 9 to 18 years of age in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Cisgender males of any age who are in youth custody services centres
Primary care providers, physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists3 can administer the vaccine. Prescriptions are not required for the HPV vaccine*.4
Accessing HPV vaccination outside of publicly funded programs
Individuals who did not receive the vaccine in grade school and are not eligible for the publicly funded vaccine can speak with their local pharmacy or travel clinic about getting it.1 If recommended, the vaccine series can be purchased privately for $510 to $630 (total cost for three doses)**. Some individuals may receive partial or full coverage for the HPV vaccine through their private health insurance plan, although access varies by jurisdiction, insurance provider and individual plans*.
*Prescriptions are not required to receive the HPV vaccine. However, prescriptions for the HPV vaccine are often required for private health insurance coverage. Primary care providers, physicians and nurse practitioners can prescribe the HPV vaccine.
**Based on the list price for GARDASIL®9. Prices range due to varied pharmacy costs and injection fees.
- Government of British Columbia. ImmunizeBC: HPV (Human Papillomavirus). 2022. Available from: https://immunizebc.ca/hpv
- Diamond LM, Clarfield LE, Forte M. Vaccinations against human papillomavirus missed because of COVID-19 may lead to a rise in preventable cervical cancer. CMAJ 2021; 193(37).
- Canadian Pharmacists Association. Injection Authority and Vaccine Administration in Pharmacies Across Canada. 2022. Available from: https://www.pharmacists.ca/cpha-ca/function/utilities/pdf-server.cfm?thefile=/cpha-on-the-issues/Immunization_Authority_Chart.pdf
- National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities. Outline of the Schedules. Available from: https://www.napra.ca/sites/default/files/documents/Schedules-Outline.pdf