Believe in Our Healing Journey: Supporting Continuity of Care for First Nations, Inuit and Métis Cancer Patients in the Northwest Territories – The Care Project
Believe in Our Healing Journey: Supporting Continuity of Care for First Nations, Inuit and Métis Cancer Patients in the Northwest Territories – The Care Project aimed to enhance capacity of the health system to meet the needs of Indigenous cancer patients and their families in a culturally safe and supportive manner, to improve understanding and ease of navigating the continuum of cancer care among Indigenous cancer patients and their families, and to increase telehealth uptake by Indigenous cancer patients in the Northwest Territories.
Location: Northwest Territories
Timeline: 2014 –2017
Funded partner: Government of Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Department
- Akaitcho First Nations
- Dehcho First Nations
- Inuvialuit Regional Corporation
- Gwich’in Tribal Council
- Tłı̨chǫ Government
- Dene Nation
- Northwest Territory Métis Nation
- Stanton Elders’ Council (no longer operating) Northern Health Services Network
- Cross Cancer Institute
- Cancer Control Alberta
- Alberta Health Services Communications Division (Provincial Programs)
- NWT Breast Health/Breast Cancer Action Group
- Community health representatives and wellness workers
- Stanton Territorial Hospital
Activities were implemented in three priority areas: collaborating with communities, relationship building, and resource development.
- A community-to-community exchange model was established to create opportunities for community members to meet face-to-face to learn from initiatives in each community.
- Open and ongoing dialogue between individuals and organizations in Alberta was established to better connect organizations with the Northwest Territories system and NWT patients.
- A number of person and community-centered resources were produced, presenting information specifically tailored to NWT patients. These resources include: the Community Action Toolkit, the Continuity of Care Video Series; the Sahtu Glossary: Cancer Terminology.
- Creation of NWT-specific cancer resources
- Strengthened relationships with local providers and communities
- Community-to-community exchange model established